Mozambique is a southern African country with a population of 24.5 million. Mozambique’s economy thrives on coal production and the implementation of infrastructure projects, which drives the expansion of credit. Mozambique’s fast-growing economy relies on agriculture, tourism, fisheries, aquaculture, transport and communication, banking and insurance, public works and construction, services and power generation. Main export partners are South Africa, Belgium, China, Italy, Spain and India.
Lex Mundi in Mozambique
Lex Mundi provides coverage in Mozambique through Mozambique Legal Circle Advogados, a member of the MLGTS Legal Circle, established by Morais Leitão, Galvão Teles, Soares da Silva & Associados, Lex Mundi member firm for Portugal. The firm represents national and international clients in domestic and cross-border transactions
Representative Experience in Mozambique:
- Local legal advisors to a leading international natural resources group with integrated mining, processing, energy, logistical and marketing operations in the negotiation of a venture in the form of public-private partnership with a Mozambican partner to construct, finance, operate, rehabilitate and commercially run an important railway line and a port in Nampula Province, including the negotiation of the concession legal documentation with public authorities.
- Local legal advisors to a European leading energy player, active in all major electricity businesses in an important project in Mozambique, comprehending the potential acquisition of a significant shareholding interest in the concessionaire of a hydroelectric power plant of approximately 1500 Megawatts (“MW”).
- Legal advisors to a leading Portuguese private financial group in the increase of shareholding of a Mozambican bank, involving the subsequent divestment by a Group based in Macau.
- Legal advisors to a leading Mozambican bank in an initial short term loan for the acquisition by IGEPE – Instituto de Gestão de Participações do Estado (the Mozambican public entity which directly holds and manages the State’s holdings) of Caixa Geral de Depósitos’s (the Portuguese State owned financial group) 49% shareholding in Banco Nacional de Investimento (a Mozambican Investment Bank). Later a long terms structured loan, security package and ancillary documentation was structured, drafted and negotiated by MLC Advogados and Morais Leitão, Galvão Teles, Soares da Silva e Associados for the repayment of the initial short term loan.
- Local legal advisors to two international financial groups in the refinancing or certain existing facilities and financing of capital expenditure in respect of a wash-plant for a mine in Mozambique, which is currently operated by an international industry group listed on the London Stock Exchange and on the Australian Securities Exchange.