Namibia’s economy is based on the extraction and processing of minerals for exportation. Namibia also exports diamonds, copper, gold and processed fish. Other industry in the country of 2.4 million includes meat packing, dairy, and pasta and beverages.
Lex Mundi in Namibia
Lex Mundi provides coverage in Namibia through its member firm Koep & Partners. The firm offers comprehensive, multifaceted legal services to clients with business interests in Southern Africa including domestic and international mining companies, banks, insurance companies, development and project companies, construction companies, aircraft maintenance and aircraft charter companies.
Representative Experience in Namibia:
- Koep & Partners has represented both Borrowers and Lenders in the largest Project Finance Transactions in Namibia to date.
- The firm has represented all 5 major banks of South Africa, Standard Bank, First National Bank, Absa, Nedbank and Investec in major financial transactions in Namibia, including syndicated loans, structured finance products and the establishing and administrating of special purpose security companies (SPV’s) in project financing, restructuring of existing financing.
- The firm plays an active role in the development of the law in the Namibian energy sector including, the upstream petroleum industry and renewable energy, through its role in providing advice to major corporate clients involved in these industries. Some of the attorneys at the Firm also regularly publish on energy law.
- Koep & Partners represents some of the largest construction firms in Namibia, amongst others by advising them on regulatory issues and assisting them in disputes. The firm also regularly works with the FIDIC agreements. Joos Agenbach and Meyer van den Berg annually contribute to The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Construction and Engineering.
- The firm further represents some of the biggest mining houses in Namibia and also on occasion advises the Namibian Chamber of Mines. Peter Koep and Meyer van den Berg have advised companies specifically on the issue of uranium exploitation. Meyer van den Berg and Peter Frank Koep annually contribute to The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Mining and Getting the Deal Through…Mining.