Australia is the world's sixth-largest country by total area and is one of the wealthiest countries, with the world's 12th largest economy. In 2014 Australia had the world's fifth-highest per capita income. Australia is a major exporter of minerals and raw materials to the world. Other significant sectors in the Australian economy include financial services, infrastructure, information and communication technology, education, agribusiness and biotechnology.
Lex Mundi in Australia
Lex Mundi provides coverage in Australia through its member firm, Clayton Utz. The firm has approximately 180 partners and employs more than 1,400 legal and support staff with six offices in Australia (Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra, Perth and Darwin). The firm advises a broad range of public and private corporations based in Australia, Asia, Europe, Africa and North America including banks, investment banks and other financial institutions; governments; mining and resources companies; power and utilities; manufacturers; stockbrokers; accounting and other professional firms. Clayton Utz regularly advises overseas corporations on strategies and structures for investing and doing business in Australia and handles foreign acquisitions and sales on behalf of local clients and multinationals.
Representative Experience in Australia:
- Advised Japan Post Co. Ltd on its 6.7 billion AUD takeover of leading logistics company, Toll Holdings Limited.
- Represented Biostime International Holdings on its 1.6 billion AUD purchase of Swisse Wellness, an Australian manufacturer of vitamins and health supplements.
- Adviser to Fortune Global 100 Noble Group on its recent Australian transactions, including on the 8 billion AUD merger between Gloucester Coal and Yancoal Australia, a wholly-owned subsidiary of China's Yanzhou Coal Mining Company to create Australia's largest listed pure coal company.
- Acted for iconic Australian retailer Myer on its recently launched $221 million capital raising.
- Advised Novartis AG on the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission implications of its 30 billion AUD 3-part inter-conditional transaction with GSK plc.
- Advised ASX-listed uranium miner Peninsula Energy Ltd (ASX:PEN) on its 69.4 million AUD equity and debt funding, to enable Peninsula to complete stage 1 construction and commence production at its Lance ISR projects in Wyoming.