Uruguay has a population of 3.4 million people and for many years it has had a strong political and social stability, supported by a consolidated democracy.
Uruguay offers clear competitive advantages to the investor, including a privileged geographic location and a suitable and rapidly developing support infrastructure for goods and passenger transport by sea, air and land, and has an attractive investment promotion regimen. Since 2008, there is a one-stop shop to assist investors and an automatic, modern, predictable, transparent and effective mechanism that benefits a broader base of firms and specifies objective criteria for granting incentives.
In addition to this, Uruguay has other several regimes that make the Uruguayan legal framework even more attractive for investments, which include the free zone law, free ports and airports, industrial parks, temporary admission, boned warehouses, law on public-private partnership, law on social housing and specific regulations of each sector.
Lex Mundi in Uruguay
Lex Mundi provides coverage in Uruguay through its member firm, Guyer & Regules. The firm is the first and only Uruguayan firm to have been recognized as “Latin America Law firm of the Year”, “Uruguayan Law Firm of the Year” for six years and to have received the “Client Service Award” twice by Chambers & Partners. The firm has also been recognized as “Uruguay Tax Firm of the Year” by International Tax Review – Euromoney for three consecutive years, as “Uruguay Firm of the Year” by International Financial Law Review – Euromoney on three occasions and as “Firm of the Year – Uruguay” by Who´s Who Legal for four consecutive years.
- Advising 66% of the private banks active in Uruguay and two out of three large private pension fund managers.
- Only Uruguayan firm in the past 30 years in Uruguayan sovereign debt deals. Assisted Citigroup Global Markets, HSBC Securities and Itaú BBA USA Securities (as deal managers and underwriters) on the Uruguayan government’s USD 1.7 billion global bond issue.
- Participated in 63% of major M&A deals made public in Uruguay over the past years and working for 8 out of 10 of the country’s top exporting companies.
- Assisted Casino Guichard Perrachon and Almacenes Éxito in the structuring of the transaction named “Deal of the Year” by Latin Lawyer, by which Éxito bought stakes in supermarket chains Libertador (in Argentina) and Pão de Açucar (in Brazil) from Casino.
- Advising GNLS on terminating a regasification terminal project and advising three of the international companies with oil and gas exploration rights in Uruguay: Tullow Oil, British Gas/Shell and Total.
- The team leads in renewable energies advising (either from the financing, sponsor or investor side), over 50% of the wind farms that contracted with the state-owned power company UTE and in the development of wind farms, photovoltaic farms and biomass power plants.